Listen ‘n Learn:
- Haviah’s beginnings in rap cyphers dating back to 2016
- Lyrical and cultural influences that have shaped her work
- Insight to how Haviah stays balanced and focused with self care through the pandemic
- The deep meaning of her track: Atlantic
- How she uses the art of music to cut through the jargon of conspiracy theories to elevate her listeners
- Creating: Occasion
About Our Guest:
Based out of Toronto, Haviah Mighty has spent a lifetime developing her skills as a songwriter, vocalist, producer, and performer culminating in a style of profound introspection and incisive socio-political critique. Her dynamic combinations of rap, song, and instrumental, transition seamlessly from hip-hop to soul to afrobeats with a meticulous flow and cadence that transcends any traditional expectation of genre.
2019 saw Haviah earn break-out success with her album, 13th Floor, garnering overwhelming praise from publications such as Pitchfork and Billboard, and making her the first hip-hop artist and the first Black woman to win the Polaris Music Prize, celebrating the “best Canadian album of the year”.
In 2020, the recognition spread internationally. Haviah made an acclaimed appearance on Sway in the Morning, impressing with a performance of immaculate flow and fierce lyricism, “showing you something you NEED to be looking at.” Likewise, in the UK, BBC Radio 1’s Jack Saunders recognized Haviah as “one of the most exciting new rappers out there.”
Links ‘n References: